Tuesday, February 1, 2011

DIY - My new obsession

Well recently my partner and I had our Christmas break and when your not planning to go away what better thing is there to do than some DIY, We had 2 rooms downstairs that desperately needed some love and attention so destiny decreed that it should be done! (And it was so)

Between the "fixed wall lights", "3 layers of wall paper", Some "rotten" wall Gib, An old chip board tiled ceiling that I think most of the street has and "red" shag pile carpet.... Something had to give... And apparently the thing to give was Elaine, Enough she said... Lets do it!

It appears Santa knew what I was doing before I did because I got a lot of power tools, and most of them were sanders!(And of course my FAVORITE power tool, My cordless drill!)

During the time Lainey also did sone furnature DIY, Heres some pics of that action!

Fol out Bed couch, what a groovy colour... but for 1 dollar... who cares!
A work in progress!
 
TADAA! 1 Newly Covered Couch!
What an interstingly shaped cabnet
 As most of Christmas... a Work in progress!

So we started away and cleared the rooms out  things, At this point Id like to say that my Garage was clear of gear, then we moved 2 rooms of stuff into them... I have only just now "ALMOST" re-resolved the zero space issue. Almost...

Here are a few photos of the original layout/scheme of emails room, Note the red Shag pile carpet and the "Blandness of colors"

So once the rooms were clear of objects we started to get into it, The 1st job was the Ceiling of doom, It had to go, so I started to pull the ceiling tiles down, Thankfully who ever put them up was nice and cheap and didn't bother to use glue, What this meant that other than tear the tiles down all I had to was de-staple the joists, which was another bonus... I didn't have to lay up batons!

Me tearing out tiles
When Tiles fight back!

So many days were spent un-wallpapering the 2 rooms, one of the rooms have wall paper that had kool little toys on it, When I find teh Big Camera I'll post these up below as well.

After the paper was stripped back it was time to take the Architraves off and start laying Gib, now when I approached the issue of Gib I though it would be easy.. and in a way it was... 2 bloody days later it was done, Not plastered, no no no... Thanks to Hugh (Laineys Dad) and Lester we got it all up though. :)

On day 2 though Lester locked his keys in his car, So I showed off my grand theft auto skills and broke into his car, 49 minutes later... I was! Damn I'm a beast! (this didn't include looking on Youtbe for a tutorial)

With the Gib up we started the nightmare that was plastering and sanding, This time Dan helped out, yet again everything took longer than expected and  I spent one of the three days working out the puzzle we like to call "Architraves... How do the go back together? Now 3 days later the wall and ceilings were prepped up and it was FINALLY time for the fun  stuff! - PAINTING.

The Painting was a long and sordid affair, Elaine started with a Spray gun, I cant say that I wall all that impressed,,, However with a darker paint it may have been better/easier to work out where you had already painted. She went with a light green and a dark Blue.

Me, Im a simple guy, I went to the shop, picked out a Grey i liked, then I picked out some textured wallpaper that suited it and I was off like a rocket!

3 or 4 days later we were done, just in time to get the carpet laid, thank god it matched my walls, Elaine was sure from the start of the project, I however blundered my way to success, The lack of wall lights and their new modern looking spotlights certinally helped my room.


Here are some pics of Laineys "Almost finished room, Its only missing the bobbin/ribbon holder and thats en-route at the moment.
I will post pictures of my RPG room when I have the door back on, that should be in a few days :)

All in all a great success and I'm looking froward to any of the next 4 projects they are
  • Make a Ribbon/Bobbin holder (WIP)
  • Removing the Mediterranean archway. (The only Mediterranean thing in the whole house?!?)
  • Redoing the walls and roof in the downstairs hallway leading to the 2 redone rooms
  • Giving the downstairs bathroom a make over (New paint and new floor)

No comments:

Post a Comment