Thursday, February 3, 2011

DIY - Ribbons of Madness!

So Elaine has this girl room of doom (see below) and one of the things she asked me when we started was 'baby, I need a thingy to hold my Ribbons and Bobbin and it needs to be cute". "Of course" I said... "You draw it up and I will build it!", However along the way there were some brain seizures but I'm happy to say they are past now.

I put together the frame and managed to fail at making rounded corners, They started round and then I put my damn Tenon saw through them and made then square, You can I am sure imagine me swearing!

With the frame together I put the ribbon rail in, Rather than use my new router I drilled a hole and used my Tenon Saw to make 2 45 degree cuts, then filed the grooves down and Tack/Glued the rail guides in place.

Groove and Rail for the ribbons :) 

The next step was the rails for the bobbins, I made some 45 degree triangles and glued them evenly down the sides and then chopped 5 bits of rail and drilled holes in them to pop the 7mm dowel in then, I knocked them into the 6mm holes with a light bullpen hammer and now Elaine will have 85 bobbin holders.

 45 degree braces and bobbin rails


Basic overview before placing the last 4 rails in


 
An army of rails!

 Ready to paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment