Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Fencing - My Personal Grindhouse

Fencing has throughout my life been one of my greatest passions, Back in 1991 when I picked up my 1st post grip foil and said.. "Yes! This is the sport for me..". My father I don't think was that happy as I refused to go back to football. As it turned out we both lost, My parents couldn't afford for me to take part in fencing that year but I hoped that the year after I could, in the year of 1991 I played no sport and that blew.

But 1993 was different, My parents having being driven insane by my being at home sent me to fencing, and damn did I have a great time! For the next few years I fenced and trained my little heart out and when I moved collages because my parents brought their 1st house I still fenced... But for another club.

Over those years I made some great friends and met some even better pillocks, backing in those days fencing was insane, there were so many clubs and all with big numbers, HVHS was packed out, Lower Hutt Fencing had just started under Penny Grant-Taylor, Vic Uni was running, Rongitai Collage had a club as did Heratunga and Aeotea.

After 4-5 years in the sport I eventually put down the weapons I loved as my knees hurt so very muchand women were becoming a lot more interesting to me.

Some 14 years later at the age of 31 I decided that I should return to fencing, I had not played football for a full year and was beginning to pack on the weight, so after I got back from the gold coast i made a flight down to Christchurch to see Daniel Chan, there I spent a lot of money and got myself hooked up with Whites, Masks and 3 of each weapon, Foil Epee and Sabre.

No longer was I a poor student, I had a job and the will to fence... People said at the time... Just go back and try it 1st Baz.. To that I said No! I knew if I went back Id be there to stay for some time... And here I am fast approaching 34 and still back at it.

A lot of the people I remember are gone now, retired from the sword, my original coach is still there though, Kam Smart and its impressive to see he still helps out kids when they need it, It reminds me of when I was a kid and he showed me how effective the "bind" was.

Me, Robert GB and Roger Haymen

Now that I am back at fencing I fond im doing things I'd never have thought of doing, I help train kids from 10 years old and up, I serve on teh Fencing Central council as a General Exec and Web Admin, I fence in 3 clubs and relish silently in the fact that all the pillocks i remember from the old days, are gone.

The most important thing is that I enjoy fencing and have made some very good friends through the sport... and even though the politics are still there, they seem more subdued.

Me, Rainbow and Nancy

As the new year comes in I find I am up for helping where I can again and have been accepted as an Offical Wellington Swords Coach, Im also throwing my hat into the ring for the General Exec on the Fencen Council, This with my UHC and Vic Uni clubs should make for a busy and fun year.

Culliford Vs Clark, in The never ending battle for Master of Arms!

Now... if only someone would hurry up with the Tournament Calander! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment