Thursday, January 27, 2011

Kapcon - Looking back to go foward

Kapcon to me is always a roller coaster medly of Madness, Fun, Carnage and special moments of "Clickyness". In the past it has also been a complete pain in my arse, with infighting and eliteism taking centre stage.

I consider myself one of a small group that has had over time had a complete  overview of Kapcon, which in its very own right should be considered a force of nature. I have Help in the Org team, the Larps, Running Games, Playing in games, I've won Best GM & Player and I have made hundereds of mates (Not that my facebook represent this). I am in fact one of the blessed.

Over the years I have run a lot of games and on the odd year I have only played in games, using that time to see what other people are doing in the hobby and how they approach their games, but in general I run games and normally spend the weekend in pain from Hangovers, Twisted ankles, Lost Voice or impacted Wisdom Teeth, I think this year was special... I had none of the above injurys but had plenty of fun.

I have attended 12 Kapcons now and have been attending since Kapcon 5 i think, Over the years its grown a lot but now seems to be in a stable place, a good place. I have over the years run 27 games, been involved in the writing of 3 LARPs, been a Con Orginiser and gernally made myself available to help out as required, but now for some foward thinking...

As a GM/Storyteller I need to grow and I think I may have 1 more year of madness in me before I start to tackle serious games, Like many people I am already thinking about Kapcon 21 and what I will do, Will I GM again, will I just play? I think the answer is obvious... I will GM and strive yet again to bring explosive excitment to players alike!

But what to run, over the years I have Co-Gmed with some of the very best GMs NZ has to offer, I have GMed with Dale, Dan and Marty... So who now will I GM with? Its a question that begs to be answered, and if I can't answer the question... Should I gun ahead alone?

I have a list of GMs in my head that Id love to GM a co-GM game with, they include Morge D, Matt C, Jenni and Luke W. I'm sure there are others but I can't bring their names to cohesive thought right now, and other good options I must decline, purely from the point of place that our style very likely would not mesh.

I also find myself looking at the SDC and thinking... should I take a crack? I know if I do that then now is the time to start, because I have a very busy Fencing Season ahead and I should hammer and tongs on if I am going to enter.

All these thoughts and yet its only Jan 28, 2011.

Onwards I guess! :)


Kapcon stuff I done include: (Red = Attended)

  • 1993 KapCon '93 (Coastlands, Paraparaumu)
  • 1994 KapCon '94 (Coastlands, Paraparaumu)
  • 1995 KapCon '95 (Museum Hotel)
  • 1996 KapCon '96 (Museum Hotel)
  • 1997 KapCon '97 (Just On Willis Motel)
    • Player Only
  • 1998 KapCon '98 (Victoria University) 
    • LARP Writer
    • (1 Game)
      •  VtM - Clash of the Neonates 
        • Best Overall GM
  • 1999 KapCon '99 (Wellington Netball Clubrooms) 
    • (1 Game)
      • Earthdawn Game
        • Best Overall Player
  • 2000 KapCon IX (Turnbull House) 
    • (2 Games)
      •  Smurfs Vs the Bears
      •  Smurfs Vs the Bears (Teleporting Version)
  • 2001 KapCon X (Northland Community Hall)  
    • (1 Game)
      • A Horribull Day
  • 2002 KapCon XI: The Eleventh Hour (Northland Community Hall)
    • Con Orginiser
    • LARP Writer
    •  (4 Games)
      • Blackrock 1881
      • Hill 937 (1969)
      • 2020 Finale
      • Game Swapping Madness
  • 2003 KapCon XII: The Twelfth Night (Wellington High School)
    • Player only
  • 2004 KapCon XIII: I Know What You Roleplayed Last Summer (Wellington High School) 
    •  (5 Games)
      • Tomb Of Horrors! (with Martijn Verburg)
  • 2005 KapCon XIV: The Big 10-4 (Wellington High School)  
    • LARP Writer
    • (5 Games)
      • It Took Five to Tango, but Only One to Limbo
      • The Life (with Dale Elvy) x 4
  • 2006 KapCon XV: Rule Britannia (Wellington High School)
  • 2007 KapCon XVI: Flight of the Hindenburg (Wellington High School)
    • (5 Games)
      • I Know, Right (By Jenni)
      • Gilman House (By Donna)
      • In a Darkened Room (By Paul) x 2
      • The Ballad of Old Tusky (By Matt)
  • 2008 KapCon XVII: Random Encounters (Wellington High School)
    • Player Only
  • 2009 KapCon XVIII: Suitable For General Audiences (Wellington High School)
  • 2010 KapCon XIX: N-n-n-n-n-Ninetee (Wellington High School)
  • 2011 KapCon XX: Unnatural 20 (Wellington High School)  
    • (3 Games)
      • Purgatory 13 – Decent to Abraxus (with dan L'Estrange) x 3
        • Confirmed 125 Kills
Source: Wikipedia



2 comments:

  1. Do it. If you don't enter, you know I'll only win again and become unbearable. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Yes... I see you so much at the moment you would truely rub it in! ;)

    ReplyDelete